Monday, December 12, 2011

Wired



I am in awe. I am at a loss of words. And I am disappointed that it is all over.

I have spent a better part of the last few months watching television shows instead of films. After the usual Doctor Who and Dexter (and Sherlock somewhere in between and Game of Thrones at the beginning), I started watching The Wire. It started off like another series. Took a couple of episodes to set up. Soon enough, I was gripped to it(as is the case with any other series). I finished season 1 in less than a week. Then I finished season 2 in another week. Had I not been working on a project, I would have finished the other 3 seasons within the same month.

The Wire is different from a lot TV shows that I have seen. For starters, there is no soundtrack to build up or carry you through a scene. It's all about dialogue and action(and by action, I don't mean exploding cars or 20-minute long gunfights). It is not set in the usual big cities like New York or Los Angeles. But what really makes it feel real is the fact that(except one or two) there is no really no character that can be judged as good and evil. Everyone is out for some sort of glory. The Wire does not let you get your hopes high. It is rarely a good day for the good guys. There are actions and surely, there are consequences to those actions. There are no fairy-tale like endings.

It's appropriate to say that The Wire is set in the real world.

I was watching the sixth season of Dexter, just before I had started watching the Wire. In the last two months, I have seen only one episode of Dexter. There's half a season to finish, but somehow, I don't feel like watching Dexter, or for that matter, any other TV show, anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment